Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The List

Being on vacation is the perfect time to shop and eat out while the rest of the world works.  Thank goodness for us, we have The List. 

One of the places we tried was Gatlin's BBQ.  I had previously read many great reviews from the Houston Press and was excited about finding a great BBQ place after my original go-to place started to dwindle in quality.  Dudes, Gatlin's was amazing.  We tried the juicy and smokey brisket, the yummy pulled pork and while the homemade sausage wasn't my favorite (purely a textural issue) it was still an amazing feat.  The BNC was impressed by all of our meats.  Our sides included the dirty rice, which was spicy and filling and could have been a meal all on its own while the macaroni and cheese was nothing spectacular with its overcooked macaroni noodle.  The potato salad, enjoyed by the BNC so according to him, was ok.  Overall, it's a winner and we look forward to sampling the much raved about ribs, the rest of the meats and, most importantly, the sandwiches.  Mmmm, mmmm!

When I was making The List, I left some open slots in case we managed to stumble upon a place that was worthy of including to The List.  I'm glad I did because we found Jonathan's The Rub.  After working hard in our friend's yard, as mentioned in my previous post, it was an absolutely amazing reward.  Sure, it was too much and it was quite a heavy meal for it being lunch but it was everything you shouldn't be eating every day.  Just look at it.



Chicken fried chicken with Jonathan's fries topped with bacon-infused gravy and a side of mashed potatoes.  The chicken was crunchy on the outside and juicy on the inside as it should be.  The fries?  Yum.  The gravy?  Yums!  Mashed potatoes?  Whoa, very rich and heavy but good nevertheless.  I completely  intend on going back to Jonathan's but this time I am splitting the entree with the BNC.  I caught sight of other entrees leaving the chef's station and the portions were huge.  Personally, I can't see myself eating all of that food.  I'll gladly split it though.  Despite the big portions, Jonathan's The Rub still serves good food.  I'm looking forward to trying out other items on the menu and perhaps, making it a frequent haunt.


No comments: