Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Final Countdown.

hurr durr derp face - Letthurrr from Hogwhurrrts
see more Hurr


And with that, I have Europe's song in my head.  Yea me.  Anyhow, Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows, Part 1 is a few days away and I already have my tickets.  Wut, wut.  But now, I have to come to terms with the fact that the end of an era is starting.  It was a good time.  I can't recall the last time I was so captivated reading a book much less an entire series about a boy who was a wizard attending Hogwarts, a wizard school, all the while battling Death Eaters and Lord Voldemort (yea, I said it, I ain't scared).  I know they're children's books but I don't care that I waited in line to pick up some of the books, as they were newly released, with parents and their children.  I wanted my book so I could rush home, turn off the TV, the phone, and read in peace and quiet sans my gasps as shocking surprises came about as the pages turned and turned.  I was happy.  I was happy these books made me so happy.  I was happy that it got children reading again.  I was happy when some friends, some I wouldn't have pegged as readers, were huge fans.  I was happy that I got my MIL to knit me the Gryffindor scarf for Christmas one year (that I still wear).  And I was really happy when the movies were made.  I wanted to see how my visual interpretations compared to what JK Rowling, the author, and the director (various) envisioned.  They weren't all winners but regardless, they will be classics just like the books.

Oh Harry.  Oh Snape.  Oh Weasleys.  Oh Dumbledore.  You will always sit safely on my shelf. 

2 comments:

Ali said...

That was our entrance song at our wedding. Epic arrival into Marriedtown.

Who would have thought a book originally written for children would have such an enormous adult following? It was, indeed, a good time and I'm not sure another book series will ever take its place.

That JK Rowling...she's something.

Margie said...

Really? Sweet!

I can't imagine another series of books captivating the world in this manner. Maybe? If so, not for a long while.